Current:Home > MyMen staged string of armed robberies so 'victims' could get immigration benefits, feds say -Capitatum
Men staged string of armed robberies so 'victims' could get immigration benefits, feds say
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 20:58:59
A New York duo is facing visa fraud charges after federal prosecutors say they staged a slew of armed robberies across the country so the "victims" could apply for immigration benefits.
Rambhai Patel, 36, and Balwinder Singh, 39, were charged with one count each of conspiracy to commit visa fraud in connection to the scheme which began in March 2023, the U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Massachusetts announced Friday.
According to a news release, officials arrested Patel in Seattle on Dec. 13 and, following an initial appearance in the Western District of Washington, was ordered detained pending trial. Singh was arrested in Queens, N.Y. on Dec. 13 and had his initial appearance in the Eastern District of New York.
Singh appeared in federal court in Boston last week, according to the release, and Patel is slated to appear in federal court in Boston at a later time.
It was not immediately known if either man had obtained an attorney Tuesday.
Man opens fire inside Denver courthouse:Suspect breaks into Colorado Supreme Court building, holds guard at gunpoint, fires shots inside, officials say
At least 8 businesses 'hit'
Charging documents in the case show Patel and his co-conspirators, including Singh, "set up and carried out staged armed robberies" at at least eight convenience stores, liquor stores and fast food restaurants across the nation including at least four businesses in Massachusetts.
According to prosecutors, the purpose of the staged robberies was "to allow the clerks present to claim that they were victims of a violent crime on an application for U nonimmigration status (U Visa)."
The visa is available to victims of some crimes who "have suffered mental or physical abuse and who have been helpful to law enforcement" in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity, the release explains.
During the staged crimes, prosecutors said, the “robber” would threaten store clerks and owners with "an apparent firearm" before taking cash from the register and fleeing.
The alleged crime, officials said, was captured on store surveillance video and the 'victims' would then "wait five or more minutes" until the “robber” had escaped before calling police to report the “crime.”
'Victims' paid 'robbers'
The release goes onto say the “victims” each allegedly paid Patel to participate in the scheme.
In turn, prosecutors says, Patel reportedly paid the store owners to use their stores for the fake robberies.
If convicted of the felony offense, the defendants each face up to five years, prison, a $250,000 fine and more.
Natalie Neysa Alund is a senior reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X @nataliealund.
veryGood! (294)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Jason Kelce Defends Brother Travis Kelce Amid Criticism of NFL Season
- There's NIL and Pac-12 drama plus an Alabama-Georgia showdown leading the College Football Fix
- Reality TV star Julie Chrisley to be re-sentenced in bank fraud and tax evasion case
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- It’s time to roll up sleeves for new COVID, flu shots
- First US high school with an all-basketball curriculum names court after Knicks’ Julius Randle
- New York court is set to hear Donald Trump’s appeal of his $489 million civil fraud verdict
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Sara Foster Addresses Tommy Haas Breakup Rumors
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Who is Matt Sluka? UNLV QB redshirting remainder of season amid reported NIL dispute
- Mega Millions winning numbers for September 24 drawing; jackpot at $62 million
- Mega Millions winning numbers for September 24 drawing; jackpot at $62 million
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Wisconsin mayor carts away absentee ballot drop box, says he did nothing wrong
- Judge approves $600 million settlement for residents near fiery Ohio derailment
- Trump says Ukraine is ‘dead’ and dismisses its defense against Russia’s invasion
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
The Lainey Wilson x Wrangler Collab Delivers Grit, Grace & Iconic Country Vibes - Shop the Collection Now
Wisconsin man charged in 1985 killing of college student whose body was decapitated
UNLV quarterback sitting out rest of season due to unfulfilled 'commitments'
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Judge approves $600 million settlement for residents near fiery Ohio derailment
'The hardest thing': Emmanuel Littlejohn, recommended for clemency, now facing execution
New survey finds nearly half of Asian Americans were victims of a hate act in 2023